Thursday, December 3, 2009

Othello #1

"I fetch my life and being from men of royal siege; and my demerits may speak unbonneted to as proud a fortune as this that I have reached. For know, Iago, but that I love my gentle Desdemona, I would not my unhoused free condition put into circumscription and confine for the seas' worth"(Shakespeare 11). By saying this, Othello makes it clear very early in this play how much he truly cares for Desdemona. This will be important to the rest of the play because he basically states how he would do pretty much anything for her and wouldn't give her up for anything. I believe this somehow foreshadows to an event later in the play where it will be imperative that he protect their love and hold on to her with everything he has. This quote also gives a little insight into the type of man Othello is. He has experienced a lot in his life already and now he is experiencing love. Similar to the other battles he has faced, Othello is not willing to give up easily on his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment