Thursday, January 28, 2010

1984 #5

Winston:"Listen. The more men you've had, the more I love you. Do you understand that?"
Julia: "Yes. Perfectly."
Winston: "I hate purity, I hate goodness. I dont want any virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone to be corrupt to the bones."
Julia: "Well then, I ought to suit you, dear. Im corrupt to the bones."
(Orwell, 125).

This exchange between Winston and Julia shows a lot about their budding relationship. When reading this, it is very possible for the readers to misunderstand what Winston means by saying "the more men you've had, the more I love you". Some people may think he simply is only thinking of her sexual experience, when in reality he means that the more rebellious she is the more respect and love he has for her. The fact they they share, for the most part, the same beliefs about the Party, is a similarity that brings them much closer together. Both of them live somewhat on the edge and would rather put their lives at risk than become another victim of the Party. This is only one of many conversations we will see between Winston and Julia that will bring them closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment