Monday, April 12, 2010

Native Son #14

"Mr. Max, I know the folks who sent me here to die hated me; I know that. B-b-but you reckon th-they was like m-me, trying to g-get something like I was, and when I'm dead and gone they'll be saying like I'm saying now that they didn't mean to hurt nobody...th-that they was t-trying to get something too...?" (Wright 425). This quote sums up why I disagree with how Wright ended this story. I believe if he made it so that Bigger was allowed to live, even if he was forced to spend life in prison, the ending would have had more meaning. It would have been the first time Bigger was given a chance at something from the white world, even though it was only to spend his life in prison, it would have been better than them simply killing him proving that his life had no meaning. This is true because although he had finally stuck up for himself,no one besides Max would ever hear his side of the story because he were to be put to death immediately after. Therefore, Bigger did not succeed in changing anyone's views of the black world and by them sentencing him to death, the white world only proved yet again to be all powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment